"Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."
Khalil Gibran

Thursday, December 1, 2016

A Painless Day

The Water Tank (1734)
Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin



The future arrives just as water
breaking its tension
slips over the edge of a drinking glass
and falls – you know you will feel
a cold splash on your toe
and move your foot to higher ground.

But isn’t that already in the past,
even as the words I write
for you to read tomorrow will surely
be forgotten, even by me, after?

Yet one wakes hoping to live a painless day,
a better year, only to die a good death
as if to propel oneself into a certain future
one dimly conceives perfecting all the errors
that could not be avoided a day ago.

This is the present, you said
and I believed you.
Whatever we do with it is ours.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I am slowly emerging from a hiatus, in which I deliberately put my pen down 'until December'. I do so for the excellent prompt set by Izy Gruye in The Imaginary Garden, under the heading Out of Standard: Future/Tense

In other news, I am very proud to have a selection of my poems published on Verse Wrights. My sincere thanks go to Carl Sharpe for this amazing opportunity.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see you back in writing... and I think the hiatus has been good... The metaphor of the water is great... also in the sense that it can only fall in one direction... we always now what future brings, but rarely when or how... the present has it's advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Open for comments again, Nice, luv this image
    "you know you will feel
    a cold splash on your toe"

    agreed part of it is knowing, and a lot, not knowing

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the splash on the toe as well, and am thrilled to be able to comment again. Smiles. Congrats on the published poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful wise write - how I wish I'd written it.
    The world is ours to do with as we wish. Unfortunately we never learn from our errors of yesterday and our mistakes follow us into our tomorrows...
    Kind regards
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry, I love how this piece asks questions and tells no answers. And I think your water analogy in the opening stanza is absolute brill. This introduced me to different ways of thinking and for that, I say viva la! Thanks for posting to the out of standard and put this one on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We started down the path of the meditation from similar places: placing a poem on the tension between past / present / future. I love how yours converses with the second person ('you') about the diaspora of time, all impeccably balanced in a glass of water ... And how wonderfully it sums: "This is the present, you said / and I believed you." Like we are all fools of time. ... Welcome back to the present fray, Kerry, been so enjoying your many gifts from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great feeling flow to this Kerry, as fluid as the water of time itself. Thanks for the pleasure it brought me, and congratulations on the publication.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sense of even if yesterday (or even the immediate now) is cold and not so wonderful, we still have the present... and tomorrow, too, to do whatever we want (or can) with it. It feels right... and reachable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on Verse Wrights, Kerry, and it's great to see you back writing. I love the opening lines of this poem: the water metaphor and that cold splash are perfect. I like the way you question time in the middle of the poem and what a wonderful ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Kerry! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must say ~ your writing is hard to forget, Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful imagery and insightful questioning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life is a necklace of questions. The future arrives in a blink. Love this poem. It beautifully states the uncertainty we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!

    "forgotten, even by me" Sometimes i find a poem I wrote some time back and I have forgotten it altogether. It's weird to read it, as if some other me had written it; and maybe some other me did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. one, congratulations. so well deserved on the inclusion.

    two, damn, those final 5 lines.

    three, glad to be able to comment again :)

    I'm also pleased to be able to read your poetry, Kerry ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is a soft play on the present of the present, and what we make of it, and whether it is truly given, or we can receive--a really interesting flow from that water splash at the start. Congratulations on Verse Wrights--your poems there look terrific.

    I am still not sure whether I will come back, but am so glad to see you here-- k.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.