"Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."
Khalil Gibran

Friday, April 28, 2017

Conversation with Death

A man feared that he might find an assassin;
Another that he might find a victim.
One was more wise than the other.
Stephen Crane

Source Unknown


XXVIII

And Death came down from his tower
when the Devil knocked
at the western gate, for he
had come bearing a gift:
a child, shackled at the waist
and in chains. The spectre said:
“Children die in my sleep.
History grinds their bones to grit.
What is this one to me?”
The demon warrior inclined
his horned head to the boy,
“This youth is a torment to me.
Long had I stalked him, thought him
unsuspecting a prey but once I
captured and bound him,
I found he had ensnared me.
Only you can set me free.”
Then Death stepped closer
to the gifted child, perceiving
an effluvium of corruption
and demanded his name be spoken.
“I am the World,” the boy smiled.
“Bow to your Master, for without me,
there is no Devil nor Death.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rommy invites us to pay a visit to the Boogeyman in the Imaginary Garden today.


16 comments:

  1. Oh well done Kerry - an excellent tale!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. What a delicious triumvirate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this take on those cards! This had a wonderfully mythological feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is deliciously dark and enticing, Kerry!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's a luxury problem, but the downside of a month of daily poetry is that so many great poems are posted there isn't much of a chance to echo the greatness of the flood. This one is keenly seeped in Tarot lore and calls the World for what it is -- our heartbreak and soaring achievement. Death and the Devil do owe us everything. Amen Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dealt the cards, friend. I just played them.

      Delete
  6. Yikes! Really well done, Kerry. Terrifying and with terrifying echoes. Thanks. Congrats on all the wonderful poetry. k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice story of the World exerting dominance over Death and the Devil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah. Scary stuff. Your tone here is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well composed. You took me as the demon left his tower. I could feel the strength in the final Voice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whooo! That's the biggest bogeyman of all! You told the story beautifully; very engaging. The end is a perfect surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That ending is so true! “I am the World,” the boy smiled.
    “Bow to your Master, for without me, there is no Devil nor Death.”
    And we peddle fear to keep the fearful under control.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (✿◠‿◠)
    nice twist to the boogey-ness

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most excellent... what a scary take. Somehow a child like this makes it even more scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is truly terrifying, Kerry. Cool tale!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.