"Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."
Khalil Gibran

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Curvature

The universe has three dimensions of space and one of time and putting them together we get four dimensional spacetime. The curvature that leads to gravity is not a curving of space, it's a curving in spacetime.
Jon Hurwitz 
Source

Moonlight, 1895
Edvard Munch


V

What care I
for the curvature of spacetime
or gravity?
I leave that to the scientists
and speak my layman’s terms:
for I have seen the curve
of earth and beyond that space
which we call sky, for being blue;
and the curve of your spine, I have felt
as I hung like a moon
heavy with reflected light.
I learn the joy
of gravity when you lay
your head upon my breastbone;
my heart will beat the measure as time
slips away.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Physics with Bjorn brings in Day 5 of Poetry Writing Month.



25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is what your poem made me picture:
      http://shynaiad.blogspot.com/2017/04/while-you-ate-curve-of-my-spine-i-ate.html

      Delete
    2. Ah.. you said it all so succinctly!

      Delete
  2. Time space and the physical constraints into which we are poured all play in sync in this tight melody you have bowed for us, Kerry. No escape from the physical except into the metaphysical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your final sentence here sums up my entire methodology in such a cool way, Joy. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  3. If anyone would like to listen to readings of April's poems thus far, follow the link below.
    https://soundcloud.com/kerry-oconnor/sets/aprils-poems

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious, this is what they were talking about when they said "Intelligent love and lust that transcend the known and unknown." I love everything about this, Kerry--the vibrant tone, the delight in the voice, the imagery. Just yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said that? It's a great line!

      Thanks, Magaly.

      :-)

      Delete
  5. I can but echo what others have said...this transcends time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...this is stunning. I love the tone of joyful defiance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is absolutely gorgeously penned, Kerry ❤️ *swoooon*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you took this into the next stunning phase of gravity. So inspired with the weight of someone resting on your breastbone, and the curvature of two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me a topic and I'll bring it back to the same thing. Must be the season.. though it is Autumn, here.. Vicarious, perhaps. April madness. Anyhow, I'm working this theme.

      Delete
  9. I wish I wrote this:
    "as I hung like a moon
    heavy with reflected light."

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had written half of your lines.. Maybe we can swap some day.

      Thanks, De.

      Delete
  10. You know I loved this. Those moments defy time. How long is a kiss?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, love expressed so vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely. lovely lovely lovely. ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. The heart is a better clock for some practical purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.