"Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."
Khalil Gibran

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sonnet 35 ~ The Rain May Weep

Time does not bring relief; you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide
Edna St Vincent Millay

Young Woman on the Shore
Edvard Munch (1896)


XXIV

Their lies have filled a world of books with words
Replete with platitudes – the poets praise
The broken heart, as if it weren’t absurd
To think it noble: love and lose the day.
I build no monument to loss, nor will
I cast aside the pain, but keep each trace
Of him inside, beloved, untouched until
The turning of the tide reveals my fate.
I say, the rain may weep; I have no tears
For knowledge that a love once given me
Has fallen silent – inconsolable fears
Have power over passion – mine I keep.
Time is also mine, to use as I please
I’ll let sorrow fade by the least degree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This day, 23 April, being the official birthday of William Shakespeare, I thought a sonnet might be in order.
Here I respond to the heart-wrenching Sonnet II by Edna St Vincent Millay for Gillena's Fashion Me Your Words prompt in The Imaginary Garden.


12 comments:

  1. Luv the surprise fact that you will capture and deal with time in your own way and not rely on time for you healing. nice write Kerry.

    And, How lovely. I thought so Shakespeare myself. Went through a few of his sonnets and then today realised that Wordsworth was heavier on my mind.

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. This is wonderful. I don't laugh but am just impressed by how well you have expressed that obdurate quality of grief, that feels not just lessened but diminished in a negative way by softening. It is very human and very well done. Thanks, Kerry. k .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, I will always love and keep this lines close to heart; "I say,the rain may weep; I have no tears. For knowledge that a love once given me has fallen silent – inconsolable fears. Have power over passion – mine I keep." Beautifully penned.
    Time is also mine, to use as I please
    I’ll let sorrow fade by the least degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto from Jim. Nicely said, Sanaa.
      ..

      Delete
  4. Wonderful way to end this, Kerry. "I’ll let sorrow fade by the least degree." That may take a long, long time though. Mine has been 48 years now. There still is a stifled sob every now and then, most times on the breath inhaling times.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of source – she excels at grief poems. I can very much relate to yours too, having experienced the dreadful fear that to lose the grief will be to lose also the love and the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A well laid path of a heart left to mend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, sorrow can steal so much from living. I like your way of not letting it consume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great response to the prompt and a subtle but powerful twist to this 'tale'

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. I am impressed (and humbled) at your skill and sensitivity with this, particularly so deep into a month of stone pens ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is just lovely. The cadence of your sonnet is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love "I cast aside the pain, but keep each trace of him inside, beloved." I know that keeping the beloved inside. A beautiful sonnet.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.