"Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."
Khalil Gibran

Friday, April 21, 2017

The Choke

This time, I have left my body behind me, crying
In its dark thorns.
James Wright

Man Ray (1926)


XXI

Oh, I have words alright
clogging my throat
my tongue burning;
I live with the choke
of them wanting to be
coughed up and spat out.

But my lips,
I have sewn shut
by hand,
nasty stitches
threatening to tear
and bleed.

Just don’t ask me
what I am thinking
or how I feel today.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bitter little 55-worder for Magaly's prompt I have no mouth and I must scream.


12 comments:

  1. The birthing of some words can certainly leave a mouth bleeding agony. It seems this speaker knows all about it. She sounds... dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Man Ray. Love that shot. Love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote is STUNNING today, and I LOVE the idea of words clogging your throat. Goodness, I can feel myself choking on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, Kerry this is to absolutely die for!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bitterness bleeds through the stitches...powerful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all do this at times. We just don't have your talent to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safest not to say, some days!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't help thinking of the refugees incarcerated by the Australian Government, in terrible conditions, instead of being welcomed. It is very hard for them to make their voices heard. Sewing their lips shut is one form of protest that sometimes happens. Imagine the desperation that would lead to that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrifying. I wrote some stitched up or down poems for a while. They are so sad, and this is better--very sad and intense but so well done. k.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes what we do not say speaks volumes. Your poem and photo and quote are an eloquent dance together Kerry!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.