"Trees are poems the earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness."
Khalil Gibran

Friday, July 21, 2017

The Escape

Nap ~ Jose de Almada Negreiros (1939)
Fair Use


There’s a swing hanging lopsided from a cherry tree
in the front garden, and she still likes to dangle there
though her legs are too long and the branch above creaks.

She is often reminded this is her father’s house, his rules
and ‘no child of mine will run wild in the streets’
but there are beautiful boys with kind brown eyes

and they beckon with the promise to adore her.
Her new breasts were made to pillow a lover’s cheek
and the heart beneath to tempt its first breakage

but her daddy won’t let her out the gate to find her way
around corners so she dreams as she swings her legs
calculates the cost of a kiss and plans her escape.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little slice of life inspired by the video "Watch the Corners" by Dinosaur Jr ~ Music with Marian in the Imaginary Garden.

14 comments:

  1. This is incredibly eloquent, Kerry πŸ’– especially love the closing lines.. Beautifully penned!πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, Kerry. I can see her in that swing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning and beautifully written! Filled with emotions~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you start with a 'swing hanging lopsided from a cherry tree...she still likes to dangle there', a lovely way of conveying the transition from child to teenager. As a teenager, I was also 'often reminded this is her father’s house, his rules' - I empathise with this girl! I especially like the lines that convey burgeoning sexuality and first love, which I think we all remember:
    'Her new breasts were made to pillow a lover’s cheek
    and the heart beneath to tempt its first breakage'
    and the way you included 'corners'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Kim. I can still remember wondering when my first kiss would be. Haha! Time seemed to move very slowly back then.

      Delete
  5. This is lovely. (I won a father via improved school grades)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy or girl how we planned our escape when children. However your young teenager has that primal urge that will be fulfilled and you have put just the right amount detail to make this a most wonderful poem of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this really brought me back to my youth and dreams of romance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lively approach to the challenge, turning corners into the turn from child safe at home to teen blossoming & hungry to roam. Aching, famished, hell-bent on eating one's own apple, without a shred of understanding or sympathy for what parents so fear. The desperation to make one's own nest. And all the falling to come. That fence of home become a cage. Well done, Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that parents have much control over their teens in these times. It must be very difficult in the age of smart phones and social media.

      Delete
  9. Yep, yep... totally understood. The beauty of this poem! And this child. I thought about the swinging hanging from a soft cherry tree and then heard the creaking of the branch and the beating of her heart. Love <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, I want the novel! It would be great to see the planning...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The creaking of the swing....I liked this view. Reminded me a lot of my youth and early teen years. Oh those beautiful boys like Botticelli angels and long hair. I remember these feelings well. I was blessed to have parents that were somewhat lenient and understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.