Saturday, March 30, 2019

Chrysalis



Cabbage Tree Emperor Moth caterpillars 

in the beginning

chrysalis

darkly coiled
singularity
                         when nothing
                         was everything

then time
then space
then matter

                         emerging
from the infinitesimal
cocoon spinning
gravity

a cosmic moth
                         expanding
its black wings
and birthing stars

each a single
egg hatching
destined to be

chrysalis


For Bjorn's Weekend Prompt in The Imaginary Garden.

I love to write about creation myths, and to imagine how the universe began in a poetic way. Sometimes thinking poetically is the easiest way to make sense of the inexplicable science of the universe.. which all comes down to one's own tiny back garden. These two Cabbage Tree Emperor Moth caterpillars I saved from the road today made me think again how unique our planet is in the cosmos, how worth saving.


22 comments:

  1. I have only once seen a caterpillar as large as your Cabbage Tree Emperor moth caterpillars, and that was when I was little. I’ve never forgotten it as we don’t normally get them. Yours are extraordinary, Kerry! I agree about our unique planet and how important it is to save it.
    In your poem, the way the chrysalis is ‘darkly coiled’ enhances the sense of mystery. A truly a cosmic moth, I love the way it expands its black wings and births stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The are extra-ordinary, aren't they? Such unusual defense mechanism with those prickles. Thanks for the feedback on the imagery, Kim. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this!!! I wanna hear you read it. It's a perfect performance piece. Plus, I wanna touch those babies in your hand. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps i will read one day soon. Thanks, friend.

      Delete
  3. This is just a wonderful way to express something like the growth from nothing into everything is wonderful.. Love those wings unfurling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a poem which would not have been written if not for the confluence of cosmos and caterpillar. Thank you, Bjorn, I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. The "darkly coiled" chrysalis puts me in mind of the nautilus. A wonderful creation song and the desire to save it is palpable. I am always getting turtles, small snakes, etc out of the road or untangling birds or butterflies. They are all worth saving, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that cosmic moth birthing stars.. those caterpillars are gorgeous..never seen them before..thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem kind of evolved on its own - I'm pleased that the central motif worked so well.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cool comment! Will we be seeing you in April, friend?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Our paths crossed today - not something that happens often, so I cherished the moment.

      Delete
  8. I love how "destined" acts as an anchor for this creation, suggesting that it was bound to happen. This is the most positive and gratifying idea about the cosmos and all that it represents. Beautiful writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it was, so it is, and will be again... while we are just passing through.

      Delete
  9. That cosmic moth, expanding its wings and birthing stars...how glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankful for the "confluence of cosmos and caterpillar" What a lovely poem

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.