Sunday, August 25, 2019

One Tree

Today, the first and last of every Tree 
Speaks to humankind. Come to me, here beside the River.
Maya Angelou


Bonsai Soul, Set Free
@skyloverpoetry


Yes, somehow within me, I am as a tree –
though fixed in time and space, cradled
close to the earth by night, my roots reach
deep, spread wide to touch yours in dreams.

By daylight, I grow into the space we call sky,
where the breeze of your thoughts teases
the topmost branches of my mind and speaks
in the notes of birds, nesting in my hair –

In truth, we are all one. One earth. One sky.
Each leaf is part of the whole. Each flower
calls to the bee. We are neither more nor less
than atoms of universal connectivity. One tree.



Play It Again! With Old Toads offers several inspiring prompts from The Imaginary Garden's archives. This poem is based on Mary's Mixed Bag ~ Connection with a some channeling of Hannah's Transforming Nature prompt about totems, whereby I thought of the tree itself from which totems are carved.
I was also greatly inspired this week, by Maya Angelou's reading of On the Pulse of Morning.


23 comments:

  1. Your poem speaks to me in the language of the trees. "Fixed in time and space," what we can't change we can dream. Plenty of friends, birds and bees, other trees, and those unnamed who pass by or are planted near, "we are all one. One earth. One sky." I chose you but we all must coexist.
    I love it, Kerry. It will have a high place with my tree poems.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jim. I appreciate your words.

      Delete
  2. A fine affirmation, Kerry, of the root and leaf which binds us all to earth and heaven. The drawing is pregnant with so many meanings too, so fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this to be true. We are connected in more ways than we understand.

      Delete
  3. The world--and all of us--would be so much happier, if we embrace this sense of oneness, especially these days... *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet, I feel it, Magaly.. an invisible root system connecting us across the miles.

      Delete
  4. So much to love here in this exquisitely woven piece, Kerry ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ especially; "By daylight, I grow into the space we call sky." Woww!!๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took some work to convey the sense of connection I was trying to impart. I am glad to know the message came through.

      Delete
  5. First of all, I love the drawing. It implies enslavement, to me, of the tree. The tree twisted and stunted to man's perception of tree beauty. Trees should be free to be, not enslaved or cut down and burned, treated as trash. The same is true of animal, humans. We all are one and joined together. I love this poem so much and how it speaks to my soul and my very deep reverence of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you on the question of trees, which is why I drew it 'set free' from the cramped confines of man's construct and becoming one with its emancipator. Thank you for your feedback, Toni.

      Delete
  6. This poem is gorgeous in every possible way. I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this brings back the ancient mythology of the world as a tree, yet speaks with a contemporary voice of ecology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yggdrasil.. such a powerful motif of our spiritual connection with all things.

      Delete
  8. One tree we are, though people still struggle to understand this...

    By daylight, I grow into the space we call sky, - I so like this perspective. The sky as the after, something identified rather than it being the originator as often told

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, OT. Yeah.. still a Skylover after all these years.. head in the clouds.

      Delete
  9. Breezy thoughts teasing ... how delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are interdependent for survival.Sadly we are killing off our life force....trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Worldly and other worldly connections cast a mirror effect which resonates throughout your poem! I love it~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Ella. I am grateful for being a part of a whole much greater than myself.

      Delete
  12. What a majestic verse , much like the tree of the universe we all honor with our poems

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.