Friday, December 13, 2019

Tarot Suite #6

VI
The World


The World
Original Tarot Card Design ~ Kerry O'Connor


This Earth is old, and as heavy to turn
as life, which falters
on the road to resurrection.
There is nothing spontaneous in birth,
nor tragic in death more than a sense
of something no nearer completion.
And the man will trudge beside
the bull to pasture, unaware
that tradition does not invest
existence with meaning;
the lion will evade extinction
but the eagle will feed
on carrion all the same.
I have laid out my funerary garb:
let the lazulite  scarab seal my tomb.



4 comments:

  1. “I have laid out my funerary garb:
    let the lazulite scarab seal my tomb.”

    Good heavens, woman. I am floored over that brilliant ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one cannot go wrong with the word 'lazulite'.
      ;)

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, this is my favorite of your more recent poems, Kerry. Every line is wise and sharp, and the card is possibly my favorite ever as well. The world is too much with us, some say, but here you make the case that however much we live in it, we will never know it in the brevity of our span here, and that what is, will be. I especially like the opening 3 lines, and the middle is measured and deep--the final lines of course, are the jewelry round its neck, with the image of the dung-ball the ironic seal to a life now locked away. Probably one of your most original poems, and every bit of it speaking and sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to know that these lines speak to you, Joy. And thank you so much for your feedback. It means so much to me that you visited and found this card which has become your favourite.

      Delete

Let's talk about it.