Saturday, January 19, 2019

Coelacanth Dawn

@skyloverpoetry


This will involve a descent abysmal –
Prepare to turn away from light 
as from hope of new day.

With each stroke, you are closer
to the realization that evolution
has forgotten the gills necessary
for life on a water planet.

Yes, sea levels are on the rise –
Already you are a rare sight
among coelacanths.



Izy Gruye has challenged us to invoke Lesser Known Cryptids. The coelacanth is not among those 'listed' but this creature of scientific mystery is native to South African waters, so I have sneaked it in to my Flash 55 of the week.


10 comments:

  1. Extinction Rebellion. I love that tag. :)

    This is my favorite part, for some reason:
    "has forgotten the gills necessary
    for life on a water planet"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always wanted to be able to swim underwater!

      Delete
    2. Would be pretty cool. :) But the reality is, it hurts your ears.

      Delete
  2. I remember first reading stories about this fantastic fossil still alive... and the role of (maybe) being the link between the sea and land... I wonder if evolution will give us gills (we might need them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or whether genetic engineering might come into play in the far future...

      Delete
  3. I would not mind having gills. It would give me two places I could survive in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we have forgotten our gills, to our discredit. Wonderful, Kerry. I, too, love the label "Extinction Rebellion." Today in North America, women are marching. Not that Himself will care or hear them. Sigh. His kind, it will be good to have go extinct, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to choose our battles these days.. and march on.

      Delete
  5. it took a few years for me to pronounce this word, bringing in 's' rather than 'k'.

    it's common, isn't it, for we humans to misjudge and mishear and misshape the world around us ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also liked "evolution has forgotten the gills"--and I like the coelacanth.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.