Monday, April 8, 2019

Reliquary

I do these 
Things which I do, which please 
         No one but myself. 
Marianne Moore



To contemplate innate fear
is to take a view of one’s own infancy
as something of a relic, albeit statuesque,
and break it down to nothing
more than this:
I feared emptiness. Once.
My dreams disturbed me, because in them
I became someone else
whose thoughts were terror to me;
this excavation, however, is redundant.
Now I am the architect of my own silence
building monuments to solitude with my bare hands
and a nightmare is mere fodder for poetry.
To be lost, is freedom new-found.


Day 8 ~ MONUMENTS

Rommy is our host in The Imaginary Garden, asking us to face our Childhood Fears.


12 comments:

  1. There isn't anything about this piece that isn't perfect. I love the idea of being the architects of our own silence. I've often found much solace as well as wisdom when I enter into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rommy. Sometimes our fears are rendered impotent in our own heads.. given time.

      Delete
  2. "To be lost, is freedom new-found."

    I love that line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredibly deep, Kerry!💞 There is a subtle hint of clarification in "I feared emptiness. Once." Addressing the fear which we used to have is a wonderful way of overcoming it 😊 Love the stellar closing line.. it leaves much to contemplate💞

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, a great twist – in taking your power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sage advice, Kerry. To me dreams are enjoyable but scarce. I'd like to be able to control them but uncontrollable is a part of the definition.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. "architect of my own silence" love that. It is so scary to become the person you weren't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent poem , Kerry! To be the architect of your own silence is to own yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how you wrap it up- the final quatraine - feels incisive ~

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.