Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Rain Has Liberty

The Sea and it's Raining. I Missed You So Much
Wura-Natasha Ogunji
 33rd Bienal de São Paulo


Kenia Santos
Used with Permission



The grass bends its back in the stillness of the rain
in its endless falling, the yellow grass

leaning away from the wind in endless yellow rows
like soldiers marching through mud, and dying

but behind the fallen, are ranks and ranks
of the living, golden in youth but dying too.

And the rain has liberty; and the mountains
open their mouths and drink; and the grass

is heavy with seed; and this is the way of things
because the dead are always with us

we march in time in our ranks to the grave
where the yellow grass grows tall in the rain.



Day 25 ~ LIBERTY

I am hosting in The Imaginary Garden today, speaking about Imagism and further inspired by the Contemporary Art of Wura-Natasha Ogunji (Photo shared by Kenia Santos)

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful poem!!! Love it, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love how you worked the image into an extended metaphor of the cycle of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held the image in my mind a long time. When I sat down to write the poem poured out in under 5 minutes. I loved the whole experience.

      Delete
  3. A series of powerful images leading to a 'Wow!' of a culmination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and THAT'S how it's done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And the rain has liberty; and the mountains open their mouths and drink; and the grass is heavy with seed," this is by far the most poignant imagist poem I have read, Kerry! Every word that is carefully placed echoes the thread between the living and the dead.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you wrote this poem. I often do the same. The way you knit together the series of images

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful... comforting... gentle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you saw life cycles in this. So many humans these days don't see their connection with nature. This is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live with nature very closely, plants practically grow in through the windows and birds fly in and out of my kitchen.

      Delete
  9. Kerry- this is stunning. Your words flow perfectly to that amazing ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the comparison of the grass bending its back in the stillness of the rain with the soldiers marching through mud, and the shift to the thirsty mountains and heavy seed. And all the time in the background is death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life in the foreground, death in the background and vice versa.

      Delete
  11. As the poet said, the paths of glory lead only to the grave. But, the cycle of life will always continue, despite our violent idiocies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You brought the image of our young men dying to as they face the rain of liberty full circle for me here.. I love the closing repetition..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the repetition of the yellow grass.
    "The grass bends its back in the stillness of the rain"

    And life just keeps rolling on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to write to this prompt, Kerry, but the page mocked me, blank.

    you've fashioned a visually powerful pen ~

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.