Saturday, April 13, 2019

While the Light Lasts

It was a face which darkness could kill
                                                          in an instant
a face as easily hurt
                               by laughter or light
Lawrence Ferlighetti




His was a face
                   carved from wood stone
       bevelled with the light of 
                                                other days

composed to hide
                   the thoughts which twisted
        his heart into a knot of serpents
                                                but his eyes
shone with the light 
                              between oceans

“I am the devil,”
                            he told me
                                      a long time ago
“I am a witch,” I said
                                      “No mask can hide
                     from either of us
                                       all the light we cannot see



Day 13 ~ LIGHT

Magaly is our host in The Imaginary Garden, asking us to create One Poem: Three Titles.
I have marked the book titles in italics.

The Light Between Oceans ~ M.L. Stedman
All the Light We Cannot See ~ Anthony Doerr
The Light of Other Days ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Title: While the Light Lasts ~ Agatha Christie


18 comments:

  1. There are too many coincidences this April 13th, Kerry! We both chose All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and wrote about light. I admire the shape and spacing of your poem very much, carved like the face – I love ‘bevelled with the light of other days’ and the eyes that ‘shone with the light between oceans’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My word of the day is 'light' so I was intrigued to see that you used it too... there is poetic magic afoot!

      Delete
  2. Whoooosh!💞 This is deliciously worded, Kerry 😊 I am bowled over by the closing lines! Perfect rhythm and flow in the corporation of titles too! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do seem equally matched, but in my experience if a guy starts off advertising himself as a devil, any relationship with him is going to be a lot of work - work that might not be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That is almost certainly true.. unless the witch is willing.

      Delete
  4. I like how all your uses of "light" show a different face of the word. I like the structure of the poem. And I really love the ambiguity you've fed into the description of the speaker and subject and of their relationship.

    There is so much symbolism in the first two stanzas, that I can't quite tell if the thoughts twisting his heart are of something terrible he did or of horrors he lived and can't forget.

    And the dialogue just leaves me even more intrigued--is "I am the devil" a warning he uses to tell her he is bad news and she should probably run for the hills? Is "I am a witch" her way of letting him know that she is her own woman and prefers to gather her own evidence?

    I love the titles, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea that there is a story behind this scene. I like the way you have interpreted the relationship. Sometimes people see only the worst side of themselves, but the one who loves unconditionally sees only the best.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm glad you approve, Rosemary. I wouldn't want to offend any witches.
      ;-)

      Delete
  6. This is so powerful Kerry, with layers of hidden meaning. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It feels like a power play. I'll trump your devil with my witch. Love the dark tones of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to see it as a pact between equals myself.

      Delete
  8. I like the darkness in this. The different uses of light in this is excellent and adds to the layers in this. Lovely writing in this and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... awesome. And I think they deserve each other.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.