Tuesday, April 23, 2019

There is no one but you ~ Sonnet 42

Good night, good rest. Ah! neither be my share; 
She bade good night, that kept my rest away 
William Shakespeare



There is no one but you:
these are the deserted hours
of night’s close chambers
where the past cannot find you

and the dread of tomorrow
slides into the abyss
of Charon’s tomb
only you, waiting on the brink

between loneliness and sleep,
waiting for my touch
upon your bare skin
to untangle the knots of your body.

Like a fragment of a dream made whole,
I will love you in the darkness of soul.


Day 23 and Day 24: SHAKESPEARE ~ I am commemorating the birth and death of the bard with a sonnet.

Sanaa is our host in The Imaginary Garden today, asking us to share Ghost Story.


17 comments:

  1. AH! How deeply emotive and melancholic is this call! It rings to me in similar vein as the song of Lady Shalott.
    "the dread of tomorrow/slides into the abyss/of Charon’s tomb": Wonderful writing, Kerry! Your sonnets are ah-so-beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anmol. There is something quintessential about love from beyond the grave.

      Delete
  2. "Like a fragment of a dream made whole, I will love you in the darkness of soul," this is such a gorgeous image, Kerry!❤️ The passion, the longing, the ache and hint of melancholy is as tangible as riotous blooming of roses in unpredictable climate conditions .. rebelling their way into the world. I love your sonnets! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had quite a bit of trouble with this sonnet, Sanaa.. and had to start over a couple of times. I'm glad it worked in the end.

      Delete
  3. A gorgeous modern sonnet. So much about love and longing in this. A beautiful tribute to The Bard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate your kind comments, and on-going support in this month of poetry writing.

      Delete
  4. A poem full of love. Wonderful sonnet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so pleased to see you are remembering the Bard, Kerry. Nobody else seems to have bothered this year. I love the phrases ‘deserted hours
    of night’s close chambers’ and ‘waiting on the brink between loneliness and sleep’, which make it such an intimate sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is such sadness in such a ghost. Love the sonnet you have done...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and smooth, Kerry. I sense a backrub and massage coming. Guess I ought to commemorate mine too?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ghosts.. I don't know which is worse, their presence or their absence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. add my voice to the chorus of ayes ~

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.