Saturday, April 18, 2020

Entrances//Deaths ~ Fourth Station

In the April of Covid 19
Day 18

“Forgotten mornings where he walked with his mother through the parables of sunlight”
Dylan Thomas

Fourth Station


It was my thirty eighth year
After winter when you passed into the swallow 
Hallowed and star pointing dusk
And I knew
No matter how long the journey into night
I would never awaken again to your
Easy laughter, your easy tears
Your hand
I held close with a daughter’s hand.
Here, again, is the sun of April, showery
Swallows spinning 
Woollen clouds of your birthday away
And myself to set
Paint upon the canvas of another year’s turning.  
The fourth station of our paths crossed
Mother and child
Always ends in farewell


After, Fern Hill by Dylan Thomas
On the anniversary of my mother's birthday.

Skylover Wordlist: Stations
Play It Again Toads: Encouragement

Reference: The Fourth Station of the Cross is significant at Easter as the moment Jesus of Nazareth met his mother on his path to execution.
I do not practice religion, but my mother was born on Easter Sunday, so I have used this motif.

15 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful poem....in and of itself. It is made even more beautiful when reading your notes of explanation that follow.
    These lines are especially beautiful to me:
    "Swallows spinning
    Woollen clouds of your birthday away"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a heart-stirring and beautiful tribute, Kerry! I especially love; "Woollen clouds of your birthday away
    and myself to set paint upon the canvas of another year’s turning."💘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mother in my paintings, because she taught me! Glad you liked that image.

      Delete
  3. I'm woefully behind .... so am slowly catching up, both in reading and writing .... so I'll just drop this here, if it's okay - and return tomorrow, to continue along my reading-comments journey.

    so for #s 8-10: craft, prayer and sticks" -

    https://indigomidnightwildchild.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-scream.html

    thank you - and pray the heavens everyone is safe and well ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, thanks, Pat. Always good to have your participation.

      Delete
  4. I love 'the swallow / Hallowed and star pointing dusk', and all the echoes of Fern Hill which yet make a poem so specifically your own. I don't practise Christianity either, so didn't understand the significance of the fourth station – but now that I do, I think it's a wonderful motif for this piece: powerful, and very apt. Above all, this is so moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many thanks, Rosemary, for your heartwarming response.

      Delete
  5. "I held close with a daughter's hand......", the swallows spinning the birthday clouds away, and "Mother and child always end in farewell." So moving, Kerry. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry. Always hard for me to write about real emotion, when most of my poems are imaginative 'spinnings'.

      Delete
  6. A stunning poem and tribute, Kerry! I especially love the lines:
    ‘After winter when you passed into the swallow
    Hallowed and star pointing dusk’
    and the repetition of ‘easy’ conveys the close relationship you and your mother had. How beautiful to think of her as a swallow returning in April, always ending in farewell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some things which remain with us, when everything else is gone, returning with the seasons like the swallows.

      Delete
  7. This is such a moving example of a deep, abiding love, and loss - but also of the bonds that can't break - as witnessed by time's turning and passage. It truly is just beautiful Kerry. It really is.

    You've dug so deeply withing your own experiences and used such stellar language to lift the moment to the light - both of the night and day - and we can't help but soar, like a swallow, even for the grief and mourning, yet inexplicably feel Lightened. Ravishing. Quietly ravishing - a psalm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sojourn with Thomas is illuminating all of our minds and hearts, Kerry. This one is both stately and abandoned to the language of all grief's penetrating symbols. Where Love has been, death can't steal our memories.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.