Friday, April 24, 2020

Entrances//Deaths ~ Burial Sight

In the April of Covid 19
Day 24

“Lie watching yellow until the golden weather breaks, O my heart's blood…”
Dylan Thomas


Burial Sight


Let me choose
the season of my passing
on this golden day
that I may line my narrow grave
with the fallen prayers
of the plane tree,
kiss to my lips ripened apricot
blessings of honeycomb.
Let yellow be the wings of Autumn skies.
I will go to ground with eyes open
so my heart forgets to grieve
the bitter tang of this
dying lemon sun.



Skylover Wordlist: Narrow
Play It Again Toads: Natural Wonders




12 comments:

  1. This is absolutely breathtaking, Kerry!💘 I love; "kiss to my lips ripened apricot blessings of honeycomb. Let yellow be the wings of Autumn skies."💘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sanaa.. got to keep that golden shine!

      Delete
  2. Plaintive plea ... beautiful plea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "the fallen prayers of the plane tree"......oh, and your closing lines and imagery are breathtaking. Sigh. Loved it, Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surrounded by Autumn gold at the moment.. Glad you enjoyed the mood.

      Delete
  4. Stunning quote – and your poem has matched it beautifully. (I too would choose to drink in the beauty of this world until the very end.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully perfect poem for the quote...Yes, drink the beauty of the world until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you took ‘yellow’ and ‘golden weather’ from the Thomas quote and expanded on them in your poem, Kerry. I especially like the lines:
    ‘…line my narrow grave
    with the fallen prayers
    of the plane tree’
    and
    ‘…my heart forgets to grieve
    the bitter tang of this
    dying lemon sun’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I agonized over the lemon sun.. but decided to keep it in.

      Delete

Let's talk about it.