Friday, April 17, 2020

Entrances//Deaths ~ Safe Harbour

In the April of Covid 19
Day 17

“Listen and look where she sails the goose plucked sea”
Dylan Thomas

Safe Harbour


The white caps, the whale surge,
the gull-pecked clouds, the topgallant masts of joy,
high water mark, the depths of drowning grief,
forgotten coastlines of summers past. I fall

through the open hatch’s wild
splash of blue, through haze of sweet seagrass
and dive into all my yesterday’s forgotten rue.
With open eyes, despite the brine, I swim to you.

My safe harbour, still waters
tempest-shredded sky, crepuscular rays, tide wall,
foam-laced breaker on rain-spotted sand. Beloved.
You are my anchor. I am sailing home to you.



Skylover Wordlist: Harbour



For those who wish to participate in the Skylover Wordlist Challenge, please leave your links in the comment section below

15 comments:

  1. This is beyond beautiful, Kerry!💘 The images eloquently portray the emotions of love and grief especially; "I fall
    through the open hatch’s wild splash of blue, through haze of sweet seagrass and dive into all my yesterday’s forgotten rue."💘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over to read, Sanaa. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Kerry, such gorgeous imagery! Such beautiful lines! Sigh. I loved every word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a wonderful poem -- I especially like "the topgallant masts of joy".

    Thank you for this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made each line full and emotive, then stitched them together in a pattern where each sines its own color out of a resplendent whole. I would start to quote, but the whole poem would end up here, so I will just say I love the forgotten rue, all the detail that brings to life the feel of the ocean; that smell like no other is in each line, and the refrain of sailing home to the beloved is one of the heart's dearest wishes and deepest truths. Just beautiful. Like Kim, I thank you for this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "shines," not sines. My proofreading skills are shot.

      Delete
    2. I thank you for being such a faithful reader, Joy. It gives me great pleasure to read your views on my poetry.

      Delete
  5. The movement of the list in the opening stanza evokes the movement of waves so vividly, Kerry, that I fell into the second stanza along with you. Such beautiful wordsmithery and image painting in this poem, especially:
    ‘ through the open hatch’s wild
    splash of blue, through haze of sweet seagrass
    and dive into all my yesterday’s forgotten rue.’
    I love the way the final stanza is mostly a list and then ends with a heartfelt declaration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I'm happy to know you liked this one.

      Delete
  6. this captures the ocean, the sea, the wildness of it, as one sails, and is so evocative, pushing our senses open to the salty tang, the wind's stiffness, etc. .... it's so startling, and refreshing, and well worded especially when we understand the metaphors and complexity of it - as it speaks of setting the course of one's heart.
    Just wonderful Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I worked with a slightly different metaphor here, and I hope it was somewhat refreshing.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful poem, Kerry, I particularly like "whale surge", "gull-pecked clouds"....JIM

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk about it.